PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Control Sticks Asynchronous?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2015, 14:50
StrongEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Control Sticks Asynchronous?

I came upon this article about what happened to AF 447 (Air France 447 Flight-Data Recorder Transcript - What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447 - Popular Mechanics) and on page 2 of the article it states:

Unlike the control yokes of a Boeing jetliner, the side sticks on an Airbus are "asynchronous"—that is, they move independently. "If the person in the right seat is pulling back on the joystick, the person in the left seat doesn't feel it," says Dr. David Esser, a professor of aeronautical science at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. "Their stick doesn't move just because the other one does, unlike the old-fashioned mechanical systems like you find in small planes, where if you turn one, the [other] one turns the same way."
I would assume that PM did some fact checking, but if this statement is true, then how would the aircraft determine which stick to use for input? The allegation in the article is that the copilot continued to raise the nose while the pilot in the left seat had no idea such inputs were being provided.

This seems problematical to me for at least two reasons. If asynchronous, how does the aircraft know which input to use if different? And, isn't this a dangerous situation?

TIA