PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in rough weather
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2015, 09:24
pulse1

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
In my gliding days I played around with a small CB once. I was delivering an Olympia 463 by aerotow from Dunstable back to Cranfield late one afternoon. I released within safe gliding distance from Cranfield in the middle of lots of heavy showers. Once on the ground I knew that I would have to wait for the tug pilot to return to Dunstable and then drive up to Cranfield to help me put the glider away. So, I decided to use the time to do some soaring around the edge of small CBs.

All was fine until I lost sight of the airfield in heavy rain. Even then I thought that, as long as I could see the M1 below me and what was to eventually become Milton Keynes I would be OK. Cowardice and common sense then prevailed and I decided to stay over the airfield which was normally closed at this time. I flew over the airfield boundary at 3000' and suddenly felt as if something had picked the tail up and although the nose was well down I was losing speed rapidly. In the time it took me to cross to the middle of the airfield I lost nearly 3000' and was just able to turn into wind and land on the grass.

As I crossed the main runway a RN Heron which had just landed went underneath me. I expect that he was as surprised to see me as I was to see him. He dropped someone off and took off again.