PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot ATC Incident at DUB
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2015, 06:28
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Waiting for the numbers, is waiting for the ACARS loadsheet? Why do BA have a large issue here when say EZY for example, do not.
prefer our system of receiving an sms, usually well before the last pax has boarded
I'm not going to fight to the death defending the BA system but there is the issue at home base of transfer/connecting traffic (something I believe the likes of EZY don't have to contend with ??).

Even after Land side Check-in closes at STD -45 you don't know your "final". As a Long Hauler it's not uncommon for the Turnaround Manager ( note the terminology) to tell me something like: "we're closing the doors at STD - 3, in 5 minutes, we've still got 10-15 running, they're late inbound from XXX or YYY, we'd like them to make it since your's is the last flight to ZZZ today. We'll leave the bulk hold open as long as possible but they might be with hand baggage only, the headcount will be in the final figures". Genuinely close the flight at say -45, -30, and you've lost the flexibility to do that.

I appreciate other long haul operators may do it differently but to be fair on many days even given the above the final figures are running off the printer just as the tug is unhooking...you are more likely left waiting for "the cabin". I'd agree at the outstations "the figures" can be more problematic - IMHO the problem there is often down to poor communications with Centralised Load Control - a problem money could probably fix..

BTW have we ever established "final figures" were the cause of the DUB fracas

Last edited by wiggy; 5th Jan 2015 at 10:52.