PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 16 Year Old Aspiring Pilot
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2015, 02:30
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Be careful of turning a hobby into a job. Once you actually have to do it for a living, the fun can wear off very quickly. Crappy rosters, time away from your family and the stress of moving where the work is until you get "that" job will take its' toll, not to mention the tens of thousands you'll be out of pocket for your training.

I did 6 years Army Aviation & the Air Force before realising that the rigidity of flying for a career wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I got out and began driving trains - something that I'm still doing a decade later and having a ball. But I've seen it in rail too, gunzels get a start and they're gone in a few years because they couldn't handle the shiftwork, or it isn't as fun as they thought it would be.

I never lost the flying bug have just finished building an RV-9 and now fly for fun, in essence the best of both worlds. Afterall not many A320 pilots can go for a junket up the front of a loco on their days off but I can go bore holes in the sky!

Don't be put off by my comments, but make absolutely sure it is what you want to do before you get in too deep.