PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military fast jets and thunderstorms
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 23:10
Romeo Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was filling one of the back seats in a Canberra B15 out of Tengah in the mid 60's. We were doing the very stupid low-high dusk strike! If one of the huge ****ehawks didn't hit you and take out an engine during the low level high speed (for a Cnbr)sim attack, then the climb to high level would probably take you into a 65000ft CB. The route was in the same airspace used by the lost Air Asia flight and weather conditions not dissimilar. I'm not sure if radar had been invented then () but we certainly didn't have it. Guess what......we hit the hardest embedded sob CB centre and 'twas like being in a washing machine (or similar). When I suggested to my driver it might be a good idea to descend out of it, he said he was on max rate descent...R of C I suggested 5000ft a min climb! We had multiple lightning strikes some electrics dropped out, and then so did we...like a bloody stone. Well, we recovered in good VMC at safety height and whimped home low level.
We learned about night flying in that area and my pilot never did it again in a Canberra .