PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 4th Jan 2015, 21:31
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ettore, I am going to post what I already posted on the 31st December, as I am led to believe, if we apply "normal" European decision making as regards go/no-go, whether to penetrate weather, how much separation to allow, there would be NO air travel in this part of the world.

I therefore humbly submit, that the failure (if there was one ) to get a "weather report" is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Throw your hands up in horror if you wish, but, I am led to believe that, operating in that part of the world, is based very much on firstly going, and sussing it out the best you can once underway.

Standing by for corroboration/shooting down as required, but that is how I have been told it is. My (prev) post below.

I have not had the "pleasure" of flying in that part of the world, however, a couple of very experienced colleagues that did, for some time, intimated to me that if you did not accept to routinely fly through weather that you assuredly would avoid in Europe, you wouldn't operate any flights.

I doubt (knowing the individuals & their experience) if this was too much of an exaggeration, I believe it is quite probably the day to day reality of ops in that part of the world.