PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Georges chapel - RAF Biggin Hill
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 16:12
johnmarkcunningham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is impressive momentum in a very short period. And shows that the admirable purpose of this thread - to raise awareness of the MOD's intention to cease funding the chapel and to solicit support for the e-petition is being achieved.

In my view there is already not a snowballs chance of the chapel having to close. So the next question is about the best structure to keep it open, even more healthy than at present, and with long term security. I continue to believe that MOD is unlikely to be a reliable long term owner/guardian - they will be under almost impossible financial pressure from the Treasury over the next five years, probably more difficult than the last five.

There will be lots of alternative ideas. It would be remiss, in my view, to dismiss either English Heritage (EH) or the National Trust (NT) both of whom have fine records of success, just because of an initial cultural unease at the thought of a non-MOD body taking responsibility.

If you consider only Kent can you think of a better preserved or presented property ( with strong military links ) than Chartwell (NT), or a better preserved or presented military site than Dover Castle (EH). And Al R, I don't like to see the good folk who work and volunteer for NT and EH dismissed as motivated only by the opportunity to "weedle their invitations to Buck House garden parties".

In my view both EH and the NT are likely to prove more dependable long term guardians of the chapel than the Biggin Hill Airport Co., Bromley Council, or even Mr Bernie Ecclestone who owns most of the south-west side of the airfield (The West Camp I believe) and who has been most generous in the past.

Both NT and EH, as I said earlier, would bring respect, professional management, investment and repair when needed, and a proven approach to managing volunteers if needed.