PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilot ATC Incident at DUB
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 12:35
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whe ready means ...er sort of...standby.....

I've listened to the tape a few time as well and I'm at a loss as to how anyone can defend the flight crew. Although I'm not suggesting a public flogging , I think they have cast BA in a poor light and I'm not anti BA. We all make mistakes and I think this was poor judgement pure and simple.

I (we) can only go on the tape that's been provided and so there may be a lot more to this incident but it sounds as if the BA was saying he was "ready" when patently he wasn't. I rolled my eyes when the pilot makes the "point of order" when everything I heard suggested he (they) wasn't ready. I agree with Penko's view and I'll admit to approaching the hold expecting to get a line up clearance and only received one at the last moment. He should have complied with ATC unless he had a valid reason for not doing so. Technical problem? If he had one he never declared it so how could the controller make an allowance for that.

Storm in a tea cup? If you think it's acceptable to ignore an ATC instruction, without a VALID reason, then please stay away from major international airports. I imagine the controller has filed a safety report after having her instructions wilfully (as far as we know) ignored. I'd be interested to know what the view from the BA pilot community is.

Last edited by BBK; 4th Jan 2015 at 12:39. Reason: Typo