PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Georges chapel - RAF Biggin Hill
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 10:19
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Bismark

I get some of what you are saying and if the Chapel passes on to be funded by a trust overseen by the RAF/MOD (like VICTORY will) then I don't have a problem. It is the notion of it being possibly 'gifted' for someone else to look after that's the issue - it would be effectively 'ditched' to Biggin Hill Airport Ltd in the most likely scenario at present. As we know, commercial companies, however well intentioned, have good and bad times and I suspect the Chapel wouldn't fare to well in the bad times!

Look at the petition statement:

By March 2016,the Royal Air Force/Ministry of Defence are withdrawing all support from the Chapel. If no one or group takes on the responsibility of this magnificent Memorial Chapel, it will be closed without access to the public or church services.
It is the threat of total withdrawal of support of what lies on the last RAF enclave of the site that is the problem (that includes the Air Cadet HQ and some of the old Married Quarters that they plan to keep). If they can continue to mow the grass and do the upkeep of the ATC HQ and Quarters then why not support the Chapel as well? I agree setting up a Trust funded by Heritage Lottery, English Heritage or some such is the best way forward, but the current plan of what looks like ditching it on the local Authority or the airport management company just doesn't cut it with so many (about 7,500 individuals so far in just under a week).

I hope that explains the position better?

LJ