PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Com Question
Thread: Com Question
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 07:48
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piperboy

You seem obsessed with replacing everything with GPS data, over reliance on one system is unwise as a single point failure could result in no IFR approach capability.

If the aircraft was set up without DME or ADF the failure of partial failure of the GPS system ( RAIM failing to make IFR quality) would severely limit your options.

Almost all ILS approaches in Europe have ditched the markers and require DME as do most VOR approaches, at the very least no DME increases the MDA of VOR & NDB aproaches.

I know that some airfields are able to give you radar fixes to do the system error checks at the FAF but these are few and far between.

My view is that the Avionic set up in GBEBZ has some very clear thinking behind it and has the maximum system redundancy for the least cost. ( also all the equipment will integrate fully with the G500 system should the future bring a glass cockpit upgrade).

My opinion is not based on the " shooting approaches for fun" point of view. It is based on the point of veiw of someone who has to do this on a daily basis taking into account what I would want fitted to the aircraft.

The only comment about equipment choice I would make is that the future product support of the GTN650/750 is likely to be better however this potential problem is ten to fifteen years in the future at the very minimum.

Last edited by A and C; 4th Jan 2015 at 08:03.