PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 4th Jan 2015, 03:22
BG47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi LcySlicker, I think you should reread my post as I made it clear that the article I sited was "not specific to AirAsia but to the country of Indonesia as a whole”. I also used “low cost airline” in quotes as this is what newspapers articles/TV are stating and it is also AirAsia’s own PR marketing campaign wording.

My only observation with regards to the wording “low cost airline”... does AirAsia push planes out the gate when possibly they should be delayed or cancelled ie due to wx etc. It is very costly for an airline to delay or cancel a flight especially if they do not have additional scheduled flights on the same day like this Sunday AirAsia flight (this sunday flight was the only flight that day for AirAsia).

In this case if a flight is cancelled the airline will still need to move the pax to their destination, there are several options 1) wait till the next scheduled flight and book them on that one. With regards to this Sunday AirAsia flight the pax would have had to wait till Monday or other flights that week, and I am sure the pax would not be too happy and AirAsia could loose a future customer plus if only there are any seats available and/or 2) sell the tickets to another competition airline who had open seats still. With the first case AirAsia could possibly loss out on a walk up customer because now all the seats are filled with the cancelled flight pax. Meaning no additional new revenue from walk up customers or last min bookings = loss of new income. The second option is very expensive as the competition airline buying the tickets can set the price very high (as a walk up price or higher). Airlines do not like to sell their customers tickets to another airline for the addition reason now that customer is exposed to another airline and may possibly purchase further tickets on the rebooked airline instead of say AirAsia.

My original post was more in the direction should this AirAsia flight been cancelled or delayed due to weather. It is fact that this flight was moved up 2 hours from the originally scheduled time...who moved it up and why? was it because the wx was going to be worse as the day progressed (which is fact). Not to mention the ripple effect of that plane delayed and not able to flight the next leg trips.

LcySlicker stated:
I know that this is a rumour network, but can one of the very few facts relevant here be made clear, BG47 and Jehrler?
62 Indonesian airlines are indeed banned from the EU airspace due to the failure of local regulatory oversight.
But 5 are approved. Presumably, that means that the EU finds their internal processes make up for the regulator's weakness.
And guess what? Indonesia Air Asia is one of those few Indonesian airlines approved by the European Union to fly to the EU if it chooses, along with Garuda (which does).
Because it meets EU standards.
Fact. Not rumour.
The links proving this are very early on in this thread, if our posters had read them rather than just smearing all low-cost airlines.

My original post:
In May according to the NYTimes the United Nations sent auditors to Jakarta, Indonesia to rate the countries aviation safety record...their conclusion Indonesia's safety recorded was “well below...global average in every category...scoring 61 in airworthness”. (note it was not specific to AirAsia but to the country of Indonesia as a whole).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/01/wo...airline-safety

Another article on the net indicates that the EU bars 62 Indonesian carriers into Europe for safety reasons. This article sites that the biggest issue/concern is proper training with rapidly aviation expansion.

My concerns with this accident is the fact that it is a “Low cost airline” and MAYBE not conclusive the push to get planes in the air vs canceling or delaying a flight as it would disrupt that particular planes day flight legs and the possible loss of revenue/increase cost in revenue that is required to move the pax if a flight is cancelled and the airline needs to sell the seats to another airline to move the pax to their destination.

All accidents are a domino effect as we know and I think the first domino in this case goes back to management wanting to keep airline cost down, then dispatch and obviously the flight crew. There is no discussion on here about dispatch and their role in moving this flight forward by 2 hours...clearly dispatch knew the weather was bad and getting worse...the question is was dispatch pressed to get the fight into the air vs canceling or delaying the flight due to weather. What kind of training and years of experience do AirAsia dispatchers have and how much pressure from management/dispatch in the very early am did the captain of this flight have/feel and/or was he to fatigue to make a proper decision to delay the flight...."

Last edited by BG47; 4th Jan 2015 at 03:38.