PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach and landing speeds
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2003, 07:16
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I have to say that it is a sad enditement of many UK instructors that ex10A (slow flight) is not taught properly - and indeed it is not often explained to the student the situations (every day) that they can find themselves in this stage of flight (approach, go around from hold off etc)...

I personally think it is a very important lesson and well worth the 45mins spent flying it...would appear that many 'older' (i.e. non-JAR or rather > 20 years ago qualified instructors) seem to think differently.

One instructor who I know of used to say 'slow flight - thjats the stage between S&L & the stall' argh. He has now lost his medical - thank god - he should have lost his licence! (his own skills werent that great either) - p.s. he doesnt teach at the same schools as I do...

I think it is somewhat revealling to look at logbooks and try to find Ex10A and Ex11A logged as lessons...most logbooks either say Ex10. (another words they did stalling not slow flight) or the exercise isnt logged at all and you ust see 10B or 10B.1/10B.2.

Ho Hum. One can but try and encourage good standards though.

Regards,
FF

p.p.s Floatplanes are fantastic fun!