PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing at closed aerodromes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 20:08
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarthawke
I do find it a bit strange that some people based outside of the UK just can't accept that in the UK, the 'rules' are different.

Airfields in the UK tend for the most part to be privately owned and those owners can dictate whether or not they want people to land there.

Sometimes their hands are tied by local planning restrictions, often brought about by the local population who view an airfield as an annoyance - not an asset to the community.

Different countries different rules and laws and ways of life. Just over the water from here, everyone drives on the opposite side of the road - surely that is just plain wrong?
I understand the rules might be different, my reason for posting was to do with the use of the term "Closed" and what constituted a closed airfield.

It would seem your rules are the same as here in the regard that over here use of any private airfield (whether it be a farm paddock or a sealed strip with full facilities) requires permission from the owner. Public airfields are just that, and are freely available for all to use.

Some on here seem to infer a private airfield is closed when in fact all that is needed is the owners permission to use that strip. This was the point of confusion.