PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 19:32
jehrler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@mseyfang

I wish it were that simple. The flying public has shown time and time again that it will do anything to save $5. Even if saving that $5 costs them $50 in fees. What you're proposing by implication is an education campaign by pilots that has a steep hill to climb in convincing people that safety is worth a little extra. People will cram themselves into 28 inch pitch seats over a few dollars. If they won't pay a bit extra for their own comfort, the statistical unlikelihood of an accident makes it unlikely that they will pay for an extra safety margin.
While there may be some truth in this, the U.S. automakers long argued that the public wouldn't pay for safety (airbags in particular). Volvo and both government and insurance crash tests have put the lie to that position. There has been a marked industry wide effort to score well on these tests. In other words, presented with good information on safety consumers DID respond and, as a result, so did the auto makers.

I am of the opinion that, at least in the west, the presumption is that there are qualified crews due to regulation and fear of liability. And this presumption in the mind of most western passengers extends to most parts of the world, particularly when they see shiny new planes.

How many passengers are aware of the flight bans into the EU and US on a surprisingly large number of this new Asian low cost carriers.

I think western passengers would be surprised and would think twice if this info was widely disseminated.

Last edited by jehrler; 3rd Jan 2015 at 22:11. Reason: typos/clarity