PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iphone 6+ versus aware box
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 19:17
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iphone 6+ versus aware box

Hi all,

Im weighing up options for budget in-flight gps capability for low level vfr flights around south east England. I navigate the old-fashioned way and will use GPS only as backup, hence don't need any whizzy plog generation or flight planning features.

I have used a NATS aware box belonging to a friend on a few occasions and been very impressed. The version I have used is the top of the range version which I understand cost around £500. This seems quite an outlay given there is now an app available which replicates the aware box on a smartphone.

My question is whether this app running with the standard iphone GPS receiver would be functional and reliable enough in flight to not need to buy the external device at all?

I have an iphone 6+ with a large and very clear screen which is slightly smaller but higher res than the airbox screen. Have people found the iphone 6/6+ screen good enough in the cockpit?

More importantly, how reliable is the iphone 6/6+ in-built GPS receiver? External GPS receivers for the iphone are available but for the price of a decent one I suspect it would be more economical to buy a used aware box from eBay.

Keen to hear thoughts from those who have used similar kit.

Cheers.

T.