PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 15
Thread: SDSR 15
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 14:44
Toddington Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"That's the way to build soldiers.. beast the gunners up and down those Lincolnshire hills."

I too thought that Bomber County was all flat fenland until I moved here in 2000. One of the steepest hills on the old A1 (Great North Road) is at Gonerby on the northern side of Grantham.

Post#51 is spot on "B Word". Having served at both CRN and Halton, I can concur with your observations. Halton House, in particular, is a real "white elephant" built on the orders of a confirmed pleasure-loving batchelor to be a fun palace (what's changed you may say?) and certainly not built to last, although the current owners have tried to keep it up together and its always good to "spot" it in Downton Abbey episodes etc.

Cranwell has very little accommodation for airmen recruits but when I left Trenchard Hall for the last time last month and took the chalice of redundancy, there seemed to be a lot of vacant space there - if you like a 1960s heat-losing pile designed by the late shady Mr Poulson that is!

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 3rd Jan 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Original quote omitted.