PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 15
Thread: SDSR 15
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 07:59
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I read that there is a study for a 'single gateway' to the RAF by moving recruit training from Honington and Halton to Cranwell - if there is any 'delta' between the cost of doing this versus the receipts for the old real estate then surely this shouldn't happen
LJ - it's not just a study; I've heard CAS say that is what he would like. It's utterly beyond comprehension and he said something along the lines "so if anyone has a spare £150 (or was it £250) million for me to do it......."

There is no way that they can sell off all of the Halton site for building and thus money, which may, or MAY NOT be retained inside the Defence budget. All of the MQs will still be required to feed the HQ at HW. The sports facilities might be sold, but who to and why? The House might be sold to a hotel chain (what a waste) but given the massive objections from the locals and the local councils to the redevelopment of the old Halton Hospital site I cannot see planning permission for lots of new houses (except, of course, the MoD will be being sold a line by the snake oil salesmen from the big house building firms) particularly as the infrastructure in that part of the Chilterns Area of Oustanding Natural Beauty is buggered! Anyone who lives locally will tell you that the roads in the rush hours are virtually gridlocked now let alone with thousands of new houses added!