PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 06:14
Ollie Onion

Received 218 Likes on 75 Posts
So they are flying along, encounter some pretty bad weather and request deviations to avoid. Pitots ice up and give erroneous indications leading to the PF inducing a 1.6g pull up resulting in a 10,000 ft/min climb and speed quickly reducing down to below stall speed. Aircraft ends up with 16 degree pitch up / 40 degree angle of attach / 60kt groundspeed and 11,000 ft / minute descent.

Total confusion on the flight deck as when the G/S drops below 60 kts the aural stall warnings stop as the angle of attack information is unreliable below this speed leading to 'reversed' indications i.e. push nose down and speed increases and 'STALL STALL' warning starts, pull back and reduce power and 'STALL STALL' warning stops.

Aircraft impacts the ocean with very little forward speed, a high rate of descent and a very high pitch.

No mayday call due to the very busy confused cockpit workload, not much left on the surface as the aircraft impacted in one piece at slow speed.

Oh oops, I have summarised the Air France 447 crash. I hope this is not the case, it would be a real shame for those lessons to have not been learned.