PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 23:09
island_airphoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professional has little to do with it, it is more what they fly. My experience is all in straight wing piston and turboprop airplanes. Swept wing jets can react a *lot* differently than small straight wing airplanes.
That said, there ARE different schools of thought about how to fly all kinds of airplanes. That makes all these forums and pilot break rooms entertaining The flight school I went to was one of the "new way to fly, don't scare the students, we love our utterly benign nice wing wash-out Piper Warrior" schools. Coordinated rudder and aileron recoveries were what we learned and the planes tolerated it. Later on I learned from old time fighter pilots in some less forgiving airplanes the real use for rudder pedals
If I ever get type-rated in a jet the stall recoveries will be taught specific to that airplane. As of yet no one knows if stalls had ANYTHING to do with the current crash.

@Midland63
What always surprises me reading these threads is the amount of disagreement among the pro's about topics which I would have thought were quite basic such as stall recovery. I hope as a fare paying passenger that this is because many comments are from people who are not actually professional pilots.