PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No wheels on my wagon !!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 19:33
Locked door

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Those photos of after the aircraft parked are unbelievable. I assume the 767 has a tyre pressure monitoring system? Even if it doesn't there's no way they didn't know about this. Look at the damage and rubber witness marks on the underside of the wing.

The risks of taxiing in this state are huge. Flailing rubber can puncture fuel tanks, rip out hydraulic lines and cause all sorts of damage to ancillary systems in the gear bay. My a/c has hydraulics, pneumatics , electrics and all sorts of vulnerable gismoes up there. Then of course there's the risk of brake fires or structural failure of the metal rims with a heavy a/c sitting on it. Shutting down either on or near the runway, disembarking and leaving it for the engineers to deal with is the only sensible course of action.

Madness. Utter madness. Something is very wrong there, the report will make interesting reading.

From the 747 manual

With a single tire failure, towing is not necessary unless unusual vibration is noticed or other failures have occurred

Which suggests with more than one tyre failure towing is mandatory. I'm guessing the 767 is similar.