PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you remember flying knowledge?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 16:52
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
The best thing I can offer is to become "air minded". This means you constantly have aviation somewhere in your mind, even when not actually flying. On a windy day, think how this would affect your flying. Same for when the seasons change, think winter ops, icing etc. think how you would have coped with things that have caught other pilots out and as some have already said, learn from their mistakes, or good airmanship where appropriate.

I realised long ago that I couldn't remember everything. So instead, I tend to remember where I can find the answers. My bedside bookshelf has a lot of aviation publications dating back to my aviation days in the early 1970s. I also download and save stuff from the CAA website, to keep up to date with changes to important publications such as CAP 393. The rules change more often than some realise and these changes aren't always publicised as well as they might be. Don't get caught out!

I'm lucky enough to have been in constant flying practice on a professional basis since 1977. I'm still learning. One day I might get it right....... 🙏