View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 15:38
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1

Go to
Control Panel \ View Network Stats and tasks \ Change Adaper settings
Not got that option in the Control Panel. I do have "Network and Sharing Centre"

Right click on a network interface e.g. "Wireless Network Connection"
Click Propeties
If I go to "Network and Sharing Centre" and then "Change Adapter Settings" I can see "Wireless Network Connection" and right-clicking that brings up "Properties".

The wired and the wireless connections both have the full set of "following items", all ticked.

Compare the settings between a working interface and a non working one.

"Link-layer Topology Discovery mapper..."
"Link-Layer Topology discovery Responder ..."

Look potentially interesting in your context
Both of those are present, and ticked. There are no configurable options on mine.

TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4 are both set to obtain addresses automatically, in both the wired and wireless adapters.

Then:

#### This section likely irrelevant
Click on "Internet protocol Version 4"
Click on "Properties"
Click on "Advanced"
Click on "WINS" tab
Compare NetBIOS settings between working one and non working one. Adjust as needed.
#### end irrelevant
WINS is set to
"Enable LMHOSTS lookup" and
NetBIOS to "Default"
in both wired and wireless.

I am thinking more on turning on things that are off rather than the converse. I would not turn off anything that is on in case it affects something you are using. It could be irritating for example to discover in three months time that your network scanner would not work and to have no idea why:-)
Yes, been there, done that...

It also might be some Windows firewall issue I would think.

Have a look at these:-

Use Network Map to manage and troubleshoot networked devices (from Windows Vista Inside Out)

You can turn discovery on and off globally for each network profile, Public, Work and Home here -
Enabling or disabling network discovery - Windows Help

Yes, Advanced Sharing Settings are all turned on, on both laptop and desktop. I can connect to folders on either machine from the other one (in the shared drives) with no problem, so I don't think the problem's in there.

The only symptom is that the full network map doesn't appear unless the laptop is switched on and the wired connection is plugged in.

Here's the network map as seen from the desktop with the wireless enabled:

Nine is the desktop, SANDY is the laptop.

Here's the same map if I disable wireless in the laptop:

If I close down the laptop, then I go back to the "no network map" condition.

Curiously, the printer shows as connected to the laptop, although it has its own IP address on the network.

Puzzled, I am!