PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 14:57
ExAscoteer

Location: Sneaking up on the Runway and leaping out to grab it unawares
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry AC I had Abex and NY the wrong way round - I put that down to the time of night of the post, alcohol and age! However I certainly don't remember a Vickers pump. Maybe what I was told was NY was in fact Vickers, who knows?

IIRC one of the problems with the 'NY' (as I believed it to be) was that, having isolated it, the runaround circuit would get so hot that you couldn't reinitiate it after 10 minutes or so because the incoming cold fluid from the wider system would cause the pump to explode.

I had a problem resulting in a booster system isolation inbound to somewhere nice and Tropical. It took some time to sort out so we didn't re-initiate.

Coming down the ILS the system pressure suddenly rose to 2500 psi then rapidly fell to zero. Apparently the thermal relief valve had opened one one of the pumps causing it to let go.

Result? Full hydraulic flush required so we go U/S in a Tropical Paradise. 6A called out......and went U/S on start up. Apparently people were falling over themselves to get on the next 6A standby.

We didn't care, we had a week in the sunshine.