PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 13:04
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've measured updrafts of around 195kts and were only prevented from measuring higher values by equipment limitations. Those were over the Atlantic
It seems that even my imagination regarding tropical extremes, which was so far "out there" that a comment got mod-deleted
Actually, in Sweden, our "gust" record is 81 m/s (Tarfala, 20 december 1992) according to Väder Väderprognoser Klimat- & Vädertjänster i Sverige | SMHI - this would translate to approx 158 knots.

Sweden being far, very far, from the worst action windwise, I have no doubts that wind speeds up/down/however in the tropics would far exceed this humble record.

The current non-tornadic wind speed record has been set in Australia. The new record is 408 km/h from 1996, about 220 knots. This measurement was taken in regular wind conditions, not in any up/downdraft but as you see, hard winds are not unheard of in that region.

If wind conditions are of any interest to this investigation, we have to see. I'm just giving out a few numbers for those interested in what Mother Nature may throw at you in different places on this earth.