PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 15
Thread: SDSR 15
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 11:09
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
F3WMB

I agree that we are unlikely to see any new capabilities. As I have stated before, the savings lie in Infrastructure and Procurement this time around. Also, we need to stop this rationalisation process when it costs so much - moving trg to places like Worthy Down (£250M - BBC News - Worthy Down: Work begins on military training college) and Lyneham (£121M for the first stage - Work starts on new £121million Defence training college | netMAGmedia Ltd) for "hundreds of millions" at a time to sell the old sites for "tens of millions" (as an example former RAF Bicester and its hangars sold for just £3.25M - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/104..._for___3_25m_/) is just plain daft. I read that there is a study for a 'single gateway' to the RAF by moving recruit training from Honington and Halton to Cranwell - if there is any 'delta' between the cost of doing this versus the receipts for the old real estate then surely this shouldn't happen in times of austerity? There will be no receipts for Honington (unless they pull the plug on the RAF Regt in SDSR and Halton is probably worth, as building land, about 1/4 of the build cost at Cranwell if the Worthy Down/Lyenham costs are anything to go by).

'Mend and make-do' is what most do when the coffers are running low!

LJ