PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 00:24
Sop_Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug

High altitude stall training is all well and good and a step in the right direction.

What stage of stall and recovery of these aircraft are carried out at test? Is it the approach to the stall, threshold of the stall, fully developed stall, or deep stall, at high altitude? If not all, where are they getting the data from, to feed into the simulator?? I suspect it is not only a "T" tail to get into a deep stall. If the elevator on a non "T" tail aircraft is stalled I suspect the situation could be irretrievable from that stage on wards, depending on CofG, CofP and trim etc.

Is there any extra training given to avoid stalling the aircraft in the first instance?? E.G, simply flying an attitude and setting or leaving the thrust where should be, should pressure sourced instruments be suspect or plain useless. Or throttles idle and attitude zero to get down into "better air" then derive a thrust setting for the newer lower altitude? One would hope these are all taught at initial training and should certainly be covered at some stage on type conversion, not waiting for a bad accident. I call it "tombstone regulation". Or don't the basics matter anymore??

Last edited by Sop_Monkey; 2nd Jan 2015 at 04:19.