PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330/A340 EAD (AoA PROBES)
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2015, 16:28
DeafOldFart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
information outside the box

I'm just a Silver C and NPPL type, with a logical mind.... and reduced hearing.
My car has no AoA instrumentation, probes or whatever, but in the event of speedo failure, a very accurate GPS display tells me what I need to know.
Why have Airbus missed the trick of using GPS data as a correlation reference??!!
Okay, vertical speed is less accurate than horizontal, but the math of deriving a reasonable approximation of airspeed is pretty basic, especially if there is an established figure from a period of previous flight.
Instead of horns blaring, a little note on the HSI or somewhere would tell the pilot that an approximation was being made until the pressure instruments came back on line in a few minutes... and attitude would be kept within sensible boundaries till further notice!! Equal amounts of blue and brown with a groundspeed inside a sensible historical range might be better than joystick wrestling....
I did suggest this at a CRM lecture with CAA reps present, wonder if it has been noted?
Don't tell me that the programming cannot be compromised by unverified input... after all, that's what the sidesticks are for