PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Jan 2015, 14:02
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Villian
I hope that this incident, if found to be caused by poor human machine interface, leads to increased training and awareness of what exactly is happening at the moment of criticality to throw otherwise professional, trained pilots off their game so much to lead to an upset.
How about changing the "poor HMI" to suit the humans? The designers should be designing aeroplanes for the pilots, not the other way round.

Originally Posted by henra
Maybe this is because things are anyway strongly amiss when an airliner troddles along at 60kts? And the point of possible/probable recovery will have been long passed at that stage.
Nothing like full forward stick and full nose-down trim to fix this situation. Oh, I forgot, Airbus pilots hardly ever/never need to trim... So why would it be second nature when needed?

Originally Posted by jientho
I think the scenario being considered is that the updraft was so severe that it stalled them immediately, and also caused enough additional pitch-up (they were already in a climb) that there was not enough time and/or authority to restabilize attitude before the next shock (exiting the updraft or other turbulence/upset).
Fair enough. But I don't think an updraught, in itself, will cause a pitchup; if it does, it will only be because the speed increases, although some Airbii do pitch up automatically if the speed goes super fast, I believe. If the aeroplane stalls immediately, the nose should drop pretty soon after.