PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to fly,
Thread: Pay to fly,
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2015, 11:17
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to ask as well. What experience do you have outside aviation (quantify it please) that gives you the ability to so confidently say you are doing a blue collar job for white collar money? How much skill and actual practice time do you have outside of aviation? Or are you comparing things to non-pilot friends, who because they do another line of work, give the impression they're really clever, skilled and professional?

When I'm not flying, I'm contracting in IT and invoicing an average of £10k per month. I have no degree and even my vocational qualifications are almost 15 years old (I'm in my early 30s). Granted, I'm good at what I do in the IT business but the job can be extremely unchallenging and boring with many months spent simply debating ideas and arguing with idiots in management. In practice I get to exercise very little skill on a daily basis and there's certainly no sense of accomplishment anymore as everything becomes a fudged compromise. What am I to conclude from this, that it's a blue collar job with white collar money? Blue collar workers are by definition unskilled. Piloting definitely requires some skill.

Be careful what you wish for mate, in the "real world" as an employee who is good at his/her field you will find yourself regularly working 60+ hours per week and taking your work home with you (one of the reasons why despite having some views very similar to yours, I'm still interested in flying for a living). Nirvana is putting up with life as it is and realising there is no such thing is perfection. You're a classic case of too much came too soon and now there's all left to be positive about within aviation.

As a bi-product they have also blocked any social mobility by pricing flying training out of the reach of those with talent but modest income.
...and those with a life to manage outside of flight training (not all of us can take 2 straight years out of life/work) to train to fly. Thus, directly shaping the age group and demographics of our pilot community (young, no strings, happy to service 10 years of debt because they know no better)

Last edited by Superpilot; 1st Jan 2015 at 11:59.