PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Jan 2015, 09:29
Jetset 88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YET AGAIN - Why Not?......

I recall, after MX370 disappeared last year, posting a plea for aircraft manufacturers to install a simple water-pressure or salt water-activated device in the upper part of the tail in ETOPS flight aircraft, which could release a simple floating locator beacon powered by a solar battery. Even allowing for currents and wind movement at least the SAR people would know where to start looking. It would now seem that this plea should not be limited to ETOPS aircraft.
Yet again this simple and relatively cheap device would have enabled the Air Asia aircraft to be located almost immediately and spare the distress of relatives awaiting news of their loved ones.
Even allowing for R&D costs it must be worth the expense. Come on all the DGCAs and CAAs of the world. Get a grip on this. Forget satellite interpretations of ACARS transmitted postions and other complicated systems, insist on something simple. The technology is there. Do something about it.
For reasons best known to the Prune moderators my previous post was removed after a few hours. Should I assume that this one will disppear too?