PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 31st Dec 2014, 20:23
gulfairs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus 320 prang

I am and old critter, and the last heavy aircraft(being greater than 12500 kg)
was a DC8 73 and then 747 200 preceded by DC10-30.
Non of these aircraft had all the white mans magic of a dozen different laws etc, just the old ones, Pull stick back equals houses get smaller and push stick forward houses get bigger.
It appears to this fuddled brain, that airbus industries have put so many protection systems in place that the aircraft systems are able to out maneuver the pilots inputs.
This with the new era of pilots who have never witnessed a spin, upright or inverted or even know how a spin in entered and how to recover i.e AF 447 spun for four and a half minutes right down to impact with I have the wheel/stick back why wont the nose come up!
Here in Godzone the local CAA examiner does not accept any spin manouver until the candidate is checked out to be an examiner (A Cat).
Hence all the budding instructors only experience steep turns with stall warning, no aerobatics.
Now we let these people loose on heavy metal which can spin(All aircraft can made to spin) which in adverse met conditions i.e. in amongst the ITZ or other savage meteorological conditions they experience an upset and then the call is "What is happening" and after some time a sudden stop is experienced by contact with the planet.
For interest an IAS of 350 kts or so at FL320 on an Isa +10 day equated to about 495 kts TAS which is close to .85 Mach
My point is: maybe we should revert to cable operated controls and switches.