PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to fly,
Thread: Pay to fly,
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2014, 18:31
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope to goodness that I never have to sit next to john_smith in a cockpit, anywhere, ever.

I left a former career in which I was earning £35,000. I didn't have to pay for £100,000 worth of training and neither did I, at any point, have to work for free or pay to work in my previous job. So this ridiculous idea that working for free is "normal" and acceptable is utterly ridiculous. I worked very hard and had line management responsibility and influence on services affecting thousands of people. But I didn't work silly hours and at no point was I directly responsible for the lives of individuals, unless you count occasionally driving the team to a conference.

As a CAT pilot I am expected to know exactly what's going on with the aircraft I'm flying, the current and potential environmental conditions, to carry out safe and efficient operations and to be able to work with the cockpit, cabin crew and extended team to fix it when things don't go to plan. All the while trying to ensure that the paying customers in the back are as happy as possible. This isn't the job of a monkey and I am proud of the knowledge and experience I have, as well as the much larger amount I am still to gain. If john_smith considers himself to be no better than a monkey, and the job to be at that level, then I would consider him to be a liability and he ought to be outed in all senses of the word.