PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 31st Dec 2014, 17:42
MtSpeedDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathrow Harry
yeah but its a a beautiful part of the world and that's where future business opportunities are

TBH I doubt the safety record in SE Asia is as bad now as in Europe or the States in the 50's and 60's as long as you stay away from the bush airlines
There has been a lot of generalization about airline safety in SE Asia in this thread. Even suggestions to book tickets based on primary RADAR coverage of certain routes which of course is unrealistic for most mere mortal non-professional pilot humans. I've read most of this thread but I can't promise that I have read every post so apologies if this is duplicated info. While not directly pertinent to the specifics of 8501 the links below do offer some relevant info on air carrier safety based on real standards, not just hearsay or where the last few accidents have occurred.

What airlines and countries do the EU and US give thumbs up or down to?

Here are some resources that may help.

EU airline "Black List" or Community list of air carriers which are subject to an operating ban within the Community (PDF) Note some exceptions within the list
European aviation safety air-ban page
"To improve safety further, the European Commission – in close consultation with the aviation safety authorities of all Member States – has decided to ban certain airlines from operating in European airspace, because they are found to be unsafe and/or they are not sufficiently overseen by their authorities."

FAA list of countries with airlines they deem deficient based on ICAO standards (XLSX) Look for "Category 2 - Does Not Meet ICAO Standards" (Indonesia is in this category)
FAA International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) Program page
"The IASA program focuses on a country's ability, not the ability of individual air carriers, to adhere to international aviation safety standards and recommended practices contained in Annex 1 (Personnel Licensing), Annex 6 (Operation of Aircraft), and Annex 8 (Airworthiness of Aircraft) to the International Convention on Civil Aviation “Chicago Convention” (ICAO Document 7300)."