PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for an instructor and cool/historic airplane near London...
Old 31st Dec 2014, 13:39
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for an instructor and cool/historic airplane near London...

Where to start?

A week ago I got my new EASA PPL(A) and SPL in the mail.

The 24-month renewal period for the PPL is based on the old license, and I'm now in the second year of the SEP rating's validity. I understand I have to fly with an EASA FI for renewal, a US one won't do.

I'll easily meet the renewal by experience rules except for the instructor part.

My wife and I are planning a trip to southern England and southern Germany for late spring or early summer. Since I'm going to be in there anyway, I thought I'd make arrangements to fly. I've flown gliders at three great places near London and would enjoy a powered flight.

Rather than an hour in a Cessna or Piper I would like to fly something cool or uniquely British - Tiger Moth, Bulldog, Firefly, Chipmonk, etc. Aerobatic would be nice, but not required. So, I need to find something interesting that I can get to via public transportation easily from London. (I realize there are many great places to fly all across the UK, but I just can't go that far and keep familial happiness, though I could/would risk it for a Spitfire/Mosquito* checkout...)

It takes time to put something like this in place, so, what are your thoughts, advice, or suggestions for a/c type and location?

[I think I once asked something similar w/o the renewal part for a weekend trip to the UK when I was stationed in Germany, but the trip didn't happen; don't remember why.]

Thanks in advance for a chance to pick the collective minds here and happy new year!

Terry

*I guess the Mosquito wouldn't help with SEP renewal, but I could work with that!