PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 31st Dec 2014, 12:30
727forever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know we have found this aircraft, but it still seems the organisation representing 84% of global traffic is in no big rush to come up with a solution to aircraft tracking, looks like as some have said the Govt (US in particular) will make the changes for them. As for the Transponder's I hear you ask?? yep no changes there, we won't be going to automated transponders, so a terrorist who accesses the cockpit (or the pilot) can still turn them off in flight.....seems like we have learn't nothing since 9/11.

The IATA needs to act sooner rather than later I think. Maybe the insurance companies might put some pressure on them to act?

From Wilkipedia:

The International Air Transport Association—an industry trade organization representing over 240 airlines (representing 84% of global air traffic)—and the United Nation's civil aviation body—the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)—are working on implementing new measures to track aircraft in flight in real time. The IATA created a taskforce (which includes several outside stakeholders) to define a minimum set of requirements that any tracking system must meet, allowing airlines to decide the best solution to track their aircraft. The IATA's taskforce plans to come up with several short-, medium-, and long-term solutions to ensure that information is provided in a timely manner to support search, rescue, and recovery activities in the wake of an aircraft accident. They were expected to provide a report to the ICAO on 30 September 2014, but on that day said that the report would be delayed citing the need for further clarification on some issues.

In May 2014, Inmarsat said it would offer its tracking service for free to all aircraft equipped with an Inmarsat satellite connection (which amounts to nearly all commercial airliners)