PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 31st Dec 2014, 08:40
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trying to come up with why a 20000 hour skipper flew himself,his passengers and his crew into dangerous weather.And how the Airbus sidestick performed with the subsequent upset and if this AD was pertinent to the ensuing event,or if indeed no recovery was possible,regardless of pilot skill or type flown.

I think the "cultural" issue could possibly explain it best as I cant believe a high-timer wouldnt be familiar with the traps/pitfalls of wx radar operation/interpretation that might lead to inadvertent and sudden penetration of severe weather.This crew operated in ITCZ and Monsoon weather constantly,they must have been intimately conversant with its dangers.The only downside of such experience can be complacency.
Left/right deviation for weather can and must be taken regardless of an ATC clearance if safety is in any doubt.Vertical deviation no.That requires a clearance prior.
Perhaps the aircraft ahead(EK) on the same airway may have had an influence on his decision-making.Group mindset.