PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 31st Dec 2014, 03:42
einhverfr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both cockpit designs are safe and fully certified. Side sticks have advantages & disadvantages just like yokes have advantages / disadvantages.
As I have been trying to be clear, I don't see this an Airbus vs Boeing issue. Some of the earliest automation paradox-related crashes have been in Boeing 757 aircraft (I see it as a contributor to the Aeroperu 603 crash for example). The yoke vs sidestick and feedback issue is one issue but IMO it is a minor issue and both have advantages and disadvantages. The fact is, the differences between the cockpit designs are dwarfed by their conceptual similarities and the issues are more fundamental than folks tend to like to think.

People like to think "this couldn't happen in a X" but the problem isn't sidestick vs yoke. Its disconnecting the autopilot at the worst possible time, handing manual flight back, and then distracting pilots with lots of extraneous warnings. That can as easily happen in one as in the other.

I think that almost all bad weather crashes of current generation aircraft should ask how automation was a factor.

Interestingly the first incident mentioned by the IEEE article I referenced was an ADIRU misbehavior in a 777, showing the hazards of turning this into a vendor philosophy problem. The problem is a more fundamental information management one.