PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2014, 17:18
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
@HeliHenri

> Plus you have no time life components unlike Robinson or EC Airbus products

I suppose Hughes500 was talking about calendar life time limited components.

@Hughes500

I agree. It is a bit of a draw on fuel cost. If one compared to the R44, the fuel flow is a bit higher than on the R22, but so it the cruise speed, and of course cost per seat mile gets better with four seats.

Then again, in other countries the price difference between JetA1 and Avgas may not be so pronounced. In my country, Avgas is only 50% more expensive per litre than Avgas (JetA1 is about the same 55p, and Avgas 85p only).

So if fuel is much of a muchness, component, rebuild and maintenance cost as well as depreciation could make the difference.

> I have a couple of 500's

Many private pilots don't do more than 50 hrs per year. I would like to compare 12-year maintenance and rebuild cost of a Robinson product to the maintenance cost of a MD500, assuming that both do 600 flying hours over the same period.

For this to look favourable for the MD, I presume it's all about starting out with a MD500 with good component times, i.e., no major components that have <600 hrs time left. In your experience, is there much other maintenance expenses than those related to replacing time-ex components?

Last edited by Hot and Hi; 30th Dec 2014 at 17:29. Reason: Quoted text didn't show clearly