PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue hiring
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2014, 13:25
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Perspective' is the word I routinely keep thinking of as I occasionally peruse this thread. I'm a VA FO in my mid-40's & going into my 8th year with the company, ever mindful that I sometimes sit next to some pretty young folk who - through the good fortune of 'right place & right time' - managed to get in early & enjoy a meteoric rise through the ranks. As for me, whilst I never intended - nor do I wish - to be a career FO, I've reached a point in life where I'm simply not prepared to jeopardise the quality of my life outside of work, along with the happiness of my family, all for the sake of swapping seats. I've made my bed & will lie in it, in as much as I won't commute & I won't move my family across the country, all for the sake of a command. And seeing as a command opportunity in my home base could be many years away (if ever), I guess I better get used to sitting in the seat that I've already occupied for some time now.

Do I occasionally become frustrated over my lack of command prospects? I'd be lying if I said "no," but then I contrast my position with the many eager young hopefuls on this site who would give everything to be where I am now - & how can I possibly say I'm doing it tough? I get to fly jets for a major airline, I get paid reasonably well for it, I get to live in a great country, I get to enjoy lots of time off - & I have a family who love me & love the life we've got. And as much as I still love the flying when I'm doing it, I don't miss it one bit when I'm not - & I definitely won't be lying on my deathbed wishing I'd spent more time flying aeroplanes.

Left seat or right seat, it's still the front seat. So I guess what I'm saying is, let's all be a little more grateful for what we've got - & don't sweat so much over how long one might have to spend at airline 'A' versus airline 'B' to get that elusive command. Grab whatever opportunity presents itself & accept it for what it is rather than what it could/should/might be, otherwise you'll just do your head in whilst trying to second-guess how that future of yours might transpire, not to mention missing out on the opportunity altogether because you're too busy second-guessing...