PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin landing gear incident LGW!
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2014, 13:24
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
As a regular reader it never ceases to amaze me the level of angst and animosity displayed on PPrune at times.

here we have a succesful outcome toa very tricky situation, I wondered about the 'bounce ' watching the news last night but I've seen lots of big airliners bounce on landing and they didnt have missing landing gear and hydraulic system and therefore control surface failures.

Seeing the video from head on shows just how tricky this was and how asymmetric a 74 looks with a wing gear missing and therefore how real the risk of it tipping over to the starboard side was before slowing to a safe moderate pace.

Then we have people slagging off the crew for now 'greasing it on' and other claiming the Brits have some innate superiority over certain other countries when it comes to aviation innovation and include France in the list a country even the most ardent francophobe would concede have made a pretty big contribution to aviation history.

A great shame people get so annoyed and personal and I hope they are all interested observers like me and never get on the business side of a flight deck door with those atitudes.

Oh and lets have a spare airport with 11000ft runway, ILS and lighting and full fire cover plus pax handling facilities available just in case something like this happens and delays Joe public for a few hours or maybe a day. After the Xmas rail chaos why not build a new London terminal connected to all the main rail lines in the event of over running engineering works too -where on earth would that approach end??

Well done to the crew I say and I hope those on board are not put off flying by their experience which was probably legitimately worrying for many of them.