PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 30th Dec 2014, 09:10
effortless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have to ask you if you have been on an aircraft with a drunk pilot ? And have you been on an aircraft with a fatigued pilot ?
Yup! And by the time we landed he was exhausted too. So was I as I was even more drunk than he was. Light aircraft in 1969 so we were less likely to be caught. It was a fairly erratic flight in that we didn't maintain a stable altitude. Out track was pretty good and the landing was on grass so we had quite a lot of leeway. I fell asleep in the terminal bogs but he drove home. I told the story a few times and everyone laughed. The pilot eventually lost his privileges for other reasons but was killed in a motor accident later on.

I look back with some shame at my drunken antics. What I am embarrassed about is tha fact I thought it funny. We drove under the influence. We flew hung over. We were pretty well the norm though. I remember more than once someone senior saying "for heaven's sake, get that man some coffee someone!"

Hey we were "men" doing manly things! I won't even start on the appalling way we treated women.