PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin landing gear incident LGW!
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2014, 00:14
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ LLuCCiFer you little devil (and Nepone)...

Why are you so negative?

So the PF might have misjudged or mistimed his flare and that could be because of several factors which include a small downdraft while in the flare or any other weather related condition.

Then there is the possibility invoked by some here that HYD 4 system was out of service and that left the aircraft with limited elevator authority, no auto deploy of the spoilers and indeed not even full spoiler deployment (only two panels came up) and no auto brakes. No amount of simulator practice can prepare you 100% for these conditions especially on a flare. Heck I have been a passenger on my flights where the PF smacked it on the runway with a perfectly working aircraft... It just happens from time to time.

I don't fly the 747 but on my aircraft just landing without the auto brakes selected, the aircraft wants to continue to fly upon touch down instead of transferring all its weight to the main landing gear and this even if the spoilers auto deploy.

So I think you can cut the PF this aircraft some slack... In the end they landed an aircraft with a malfunction, kept it down the centre line of the runway, didn't seem to break anything else and all were safe... To me that's a perfect ending!

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 30th Dec 2014 at 01:00.