PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best deep midwinter alcoholic drink.
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2014, 22:04
RedhillPhil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last (2013) year I decided to finally have a crack at making Sloe gin. I bought a bottle of someone's reasonably cheap brand then sallied forth to the banks of the might River Mole to pick Sloes. Returning home I pricked them all as advised, tipped them into a large "Kilner" jar, added the gin, poured in the requisite amount of sugar - can't remember how much - and then, eying the remains of a fresh fruit salad thought, "why not" and tipped in the strawberries, blueberries, rasberries et al (nothing citrus though). I put the jar in a dark recess in the shed and left it to fester until Christmas - and promptly forgot all about it. About a week ago Mrs Phil asked, "what happened to that Sloe gin that you did"?
Into the inner recess of the shed I went and out came a spiders web and dust encrusted Kilner jar. I Carefully decanted it through a piece of muslin and poured a little to taste. Holding the glass up to the light revealed it to be a lovely rich ruby red colour.
It tasted heavenly, really rich and fruity in a liqueur sort of way but without being sweet.
It's not going to be around for very long methinks.