PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now here's a thing
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2014, 15:31
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost benefit

I guess I am old school so someone younger and smarter please tell me why I would need this tech? When I am flying at low airspeed, my attention is completely outside the aircraft. I am judging my speed and the need for more or less speed visually and have no need for an accurate airspeed indicator. There are certainly other technologies I can think of that I would much rather have in the cockpit for the money. An accurate wind direction indicator would be awesome as I fly into many remote areas. I would love to have my ops person be able to send coordinates directly to my GPS so I am not punching a lot of buttons at night, head down instead of outside where it should be. How about voice command for GPS? I want to be able to press a button on the cyclic and say "Direct so and so hospital" or any other preset waypoint, and boom, there it is. That would be awesome. Goggles with an 80 or more degree field of view, now that would be nice. If I was making a wish list, this laser airspeed indicator would not show up. I have lots of instrument time and even in that mode of flight, knowing these low airspeeds accurately is not that important because again, by the time I am slowing to 30 knots or less, I am already outside. Fixed wing or rotor, not necessary.

edumacate me on this.

cheers

Last edited by grumpytroll; 28th Dec 2014 at 15:33. Reason: for some reason my computer put an @ symbol in the word laser!