PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The greatest ever pilot.
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2014, 14:36
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evansb, you have a point.

However, on this page alone there are fingers pointing in all directions, but I doubt that there is one who could reel off the names of test pilots or pilots of distinction from other countries, including the commonwealth. 'Tis bad enough trying to remember those we have, but to add foreign test pilots from the world over is like naming individual bees in one hive! They all fly perfectly but no-one knows their name!

Fortunately, there are well written books that do that, and in most cases it takes the authors years of research as well as travel hither and thither to get just a few words of unbeatable veracity to enter it into a book. I have read a lot of such books and in all cases I have marvelled at some of exploits of these marvellous men. I have also met many on the display circuits and some fit the brand of the 'best' pilots I have ever seen. It has been a privilege to know them, a few I still do, and they are my friends. Surprisingly, just a few had an over inflated ego, which did little for their undoubted talent.

I don't think I could subscribe to the thought all bomber crews fall into the same category. In the case of a Lancaster for example a pilot was one of a seven crew and they were all heroes. That means they fall into a slot that is clearly that of 'Protectors of the Realm' - that is my title anyway, but it must apply to all those who fought for this country.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit, but let us not forget the ETPS (Empire Test Pilots School) at Boscombe Down. It annually turns out fully trained test pilots - from all around the world. The test pilots who train these real test pilots are second to none and, as far as I know, are all British therefore it gives Britain a definite bias. Nothing wrong that because it is true. Certainly the ones I know are.

But there is one fact that is without doubt a history of magnificence when it comes to defining British born and bred Test Pilots. They did a job that no-one can ever beat. In some cases they gave their lives but the flying curve of safety they flew/fly always pointed skywards until it is damn near as safe as it is ever going to be.