PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 28th Dec 2014, 10:47
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemain

From earlyer posts on the thread you will see that I don't condone flying under the influence of achohol in any way.

What I am trying to do is put the problem of achohol in avation into a realistic statistical context, only by doing this do we have the evidence to asses the risks and bring proper effort to mitigate the risks to flight safety.

Because it is easy to do so achohol takes up far more time in the press and on the pages of PPRUNE than it should with regard to the current level of risk it poses to flight safety, fatigue is a far bigger statistical risk than achohol but far harder to quantify and almost imposable to make a good headline for the newspapers.

The irony is that this topic was started when a pilot was taken off an aircraft to be checked for acohol at the police station, as this is a very simple test to administer and the CPS are not taking this to court due to lack of evidence one has to assume this is a case of one NOT drunk pilot getting a lot of press coverage.

So I have to ask you if you have been on an aircraft with a drunk pilot ? And have you been on an aircraft with a fatigued pilot ?

I am going to guess that your answer will indicate that the statistics show that tackling the fatigue problem should be the focus of flight safety efforts as the industry had done just about all it realisticly can to tackle the very small acohol problem as was demonstrated in this case.