PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long-term effects of altitude sickness?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2003, 02:12
Jimbo-in-debt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long-term effects of altitude sickness?

I'm in my final year at university and hoping to start my PPL this summer (at long last...) with a view to a career in commercial flying.

I'm lucky enough to be doing a (university) medical research expedition to Bolivia in August which is investigating the effects of high altitude on the body. It will involve four days of acclimatisation in La Paz (~3600m amsl), and then ten days at the laboratory (5200m up in the Andes doing the research itself), followed by a week or so of 'time to ourselves'...ie recovery!

I think it's fair to say that most of us are anticipating some degree of altitude sickness, and hoping and praying for nothing more serious like high altitude pulmonary / cerebral oedema (yummm....). My question is, are there likely to be any long-term / 'permanent' effects either of altitude sickness or more generally of spending time so high?!

What I'm particularly keen to establish is whether the experience might do something that might prevent me from maintaining a Class 1 medical. I haven't actually got my Class 1 yet but am hoping to do it in the next few weeks. For what it's worth I'm 22, physically pretty fit thanks to lots of running/cycling, and generally take my health pretty seriously.

Thanks in advance for any info or thoughts...much appreciated,

Jimbo.

PS Anybody who's interested:
http://www.apex-altitude.com/