PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2014, 17:40
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dakota operating weight limits

Much obliged Ian B-B for the data re Dak operating weight limits - good to have proof that my memory was not at fault, and there is no question in my mind that 31,000 lb was used as the 'normal' AUW limit by the RAF at that time, in the SE Asia theatre at any rate.

As I have mentioned before, our usual practice of departing base with full tanks often resulted in the aircraft being much heavier than it need have been. It made life simple - no pre-planning of fuel load required, while at the more outlying airfields supplies of 100 octane could be limited or non-existent, but it certainly resulted in our aircraft often being much heavier than they need have been. The 2000 yard runways at Akyab or Mingaladon did sometimes seem barely adequate for takeoff, and of course we were well aware that EFTO would have only one result!

Danny - yes, the 'wheelie' was certainly the preferred method of putting a Dak back on the ground; not very professional perhaps, but it made life easier on most occasions. But of course there were exceptions, as previously described!

Your reference to poor surfaces minds me to ask - you must have encountered the dreaded bithess (bitumised hessian) often used to make a temporary surface for roads or aircraft parking areas? Never runways to my knowledge, just as well as once water got beneath the stuff it was like moving on a giant water bed!