PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAB. Reality of the market, and CX's 'head in the sand' approach
Old 27th Dec 2014, 17:33
GTC58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't help to get bums in the seats when JFO upgrades now need increasing LUFUS sectors and that the failure rate is increasing as well. That is one of the reasons why we have less pilots now on the seniority list then at the beginning of the year. And of course captains retiring and FO and SO leaving. I personally know FO's from several bases left, like HKG, FRA, SFO, LAX, NYC ....... Surprisingly even Cadets from the AE and TT courses left this year, some with financial loses as they couldn't see a future in Hong Kong with their families.

The original target for new hires in 2015 was around 150 and had to be increased to 320 due to the above. In my opinion it will just get worse. There is now talk to lease two B777 simulators and instructors in TPE as they are already running at training capacity on the B777 fleet.

Doesn't help that the number of cadet applications is significantly down by over 50%.

I talked to many USAB guys and its not only about pay. It is about a modern roster and leave system where you can bid, a solid contract, labor protection laws, jump seating and staff travel privileges, retirement benefits and much more. All off what CX can not or is not willing to provide, but US carriers can. Not to mention constant conflict and tension between CX management and the pilots. Maybe ask some of the pilots who are at CX for over 20 years, most will tell you that this is the worst they have it seen here with the lowest morale ever.