PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2014, 15:37
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO, the upgrades are indeed coming and the list is very mature. I'm not sure where the issue has arisen on integrating a more modern EOTS with CCD. Power and cooling. Yep, agree, always a problem. Solutions inbound, both hardware and software. I know that sounds like it's "no problem" but it's not how I mean it - all of these things are head scratches for LM and the subbies to work through, not around.

I don't agree with the suggestion that F-22 and F-35 upgrade costs will be apples-apples; that remains undisclosed. That said, for F-22 the US(AF), as sole user, bore the pain of the upgrade cycle. The collegiate nature of the JSF Program spreads that cost proportionately. Those buying a much lower total number of jets than the USA will get integrated, voted-for, capability upgrades that simply could not be achieved elsewhere with their contribution. Now add in the notion of some extremely attractive tech being brought to the table from many nations and suddenly the through-life development of F-35 starts to shape.

Rhino - though everyone is entitled to an opinion without justification, an opinion without reasoning or evidence could be nothing more than a sweeping generalisation. I think Hempy was after some reasoning.

Last edited by MSOCS; 27th Dec 2014 at 15:49.